Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother’s Day


Yesterday was Mother’s Day. Happy Mother’s Day!

The holiday is bittersweet at our house. I lost my mother almost six years ago. My husband lost his mother almost two years ago. We spend the weekend thinking about these two amazing women.

Thoughts of my mother, Barbara Ann, bring a smile to my face. I always marvel at how she coped with raising five children on a small income, and did such a great job at it.  

One thing that always amused me (and amazed me) was that she had such an innocent joy in everything. The woman did not have a cynical bone in her body. Anything new was exciting, and luckily, my daughter is taking after her in this gift. New restaurants, a road trip to anywhere, even a school play or band concert. It didn’t matter what it was, she enjoyed them all.

Mom encouraged all of her children to find our happiness and don’t be afraid to go out on our own. Ironically, we all stayed in the southeast, only one moving more than five hours away from our parents. She always encouraged us to try new things and take chances. When my husband was considering a job move, I would tell him to talk to her. And I did the same thing.

We no longer have her as a cheerleader. But, I feel she is in heaven, watching us, wishing for our happiness. Mom, I love and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment